Base Ball Team Gets New Uniforms, and Other News, June 1921

Many happenings were reported on the front page of the June 9, 1921 edition of the Skidmore News (Skidmore, Missouri):

F. H. Barrett was a Maryville visitor Tuesday.

Mrs. Roy Morgan was a Maryville visitor Monday.

Jacob Close on route 1 finished his big barn last week.

Mr. and Mrs. David White were Maryville visitors Monday.

Miss Bessie Mitchell spent Sunday at the Elmer Hart home.

Mrs. M. Cobb of Maitland was shopping in Skidmore Tuesday.

F. H. Barrett drove to Maryville Friday, taking his son, Vernon, Hiram and Eleanor Montgomery, and Louise Hoblitzell over for their music lesson.

At the semi-annual election of Skidmore Lodge 586, I. O. O. F., held Tuesday evening, Fred Dyson was elected Noble Grand, and Chas. McDaniel Vice Grand.

Mrs. A. B. Wells was a St. Joseph passenger Saturday morning. She attended the funeral of her uncle, H. P. Caton, at Mound City Sunday before returning home.

The Epworth League of the M. E. Church will hold a kitchen window at Barrett’s, Saturday afternoon, June 11.

R. B. Foster and daughters, and Misses Susie and Mary Ashbrook and Katherine Gray motored to St. Joseph Monday.

Mrs. Marguerite Wright and Misses Arlie Calvert and Alma Egan, all of Maryville, visited from Saturday evening until Sunday evening with Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Weddle, Sr.

This week was house cleaning time at J. A. Hill’s barber shop. Mr. Hill had the building painted, inside and out, and papered the first of the week. The work was done by E. A. Cox.

Marion Owens, who is in the Navy, is in Chicago on a furlough. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Owens, are visiting him there at the home of their daughter, Mrs. G. F. Kellogg.

Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Fullerton motored to St. Joseph on business Tuesday and returned yesterday. They also visited with Mr. and Mrs. John Owens and Mr. and Mrs. Jim Ream.

The local base ball team received their new uniforms yesterday morning. They are very nice looking suits, and on the back of each shirt is the ad of the business house that paid for the suit.

Douglas Mast left Monday afternoon for his home at Valley Falls, Kansas, after a visit of about two weeks with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Mast and Mr. and Mrs. E. T. Clark.

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Carter and Mrs. J. N. Carter and son, Harry, motored to St. Joseph Monday to see J. M. Lee of Savannah who is in a hospital in St. Joseph. Mr. Lee is improving nicely.

The Junior girls’ class of the Christian Sunday School met at the home of their teacher, Mrs. T. A. Culley, Saturday afternoon. After the regular business session, a social hour was spent in playing outdoor games.

Catherine Caywood, six-year-old daughter of O. E. Caywood, living east of town, broke one of the bones in her arm last Wednesday when she fell while playing at school. Dr. Pierpoint set the arm, and she is reported as doing nicely.

G. F. Kellogg of Chicago arrived on the morning train Saturday, and left Sunday in his car. He was joined by C. E. Owens Tuesday afternoon at Chillicothe, Mo., from where they motored to Chicago. Mr. Owens will be gone about two weeks.

Mr. and Mrs. Allen Butner, formerly of Quitman, but now of Weyth, Wyo., have been visiting relatives and friends at Skidmore and Quitman. At Skidmore they visited their niece, Mrs. L. A. McGinnis, and family, and nephew, Tom Williams, and wife.

L. A. McGinnis received word Monday morning that his brother, Dale McGinnis of Snyder, Colo., was taken to a hospital Sunday evening where he will undergo an operation for appendicitis. Their mother, Mrs. C. B. McAlister, of Maryville, left on the evening train from Maryville for Snyder.

Mrs. Aron Linville and Mrs. C. H. Jackson left last Thursday for Columbia, Mo., where they attended the graduation of their daughters, Miss Lucile Linville and Miss Frances Jackson, from Stephens College. They all returned home yesterday morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *