First Lot Sale

The July 28, 1921 Skidmore News (Skidmore, Missouri) featured bits of history celebrating the town’s birthday. Here’s one segment:

The First Lot Sale.
When the Nodaway Valley Railroad was laid out, Mr. Skidmore gave the company twenty acres of land to build a depot here. Early in the summer of 1880, Mr. Skidmore laid out a townsite, and on July 29 of that year the lot sale was held.

The first three lots sold were purchased by W. S. Earls of Savannah, Mo., and on them was built a store building by Markland, Earls & Co., the “Co.” being E. T. Duval, the present postmaster of Skidmore. For many years Mr. Duval conducted a store on these same lots, and now they are occupied by the post office.

The first building erected was a grocery store, built by H. H. Joy, who moved a stock of goods here from Union Valley, and commenced business about September 1, 1880. Markland, Earls & Co. put up a double store building and handled a stock of hardware, furniture and general merchandise. T. L. Marlin erected a hardware store; Dr. J. M. Hutt built a drug store, and J. T. VanAusdall a carpenter shop.

J. V. Parrish moved his blacksmith shop from the old Nash mill which had stood for some years on the east bank of the Nodaway, on what is now the Wesley Barrett estate; Wesley Clark also put up a blacksmith shop. Mr. Parrish built the first residence in Skidmore, the house now occupied by E. L. King.

The first eating house in town was conducted by James B. Peters.

The first birth in Skidmore occurred on November 11, 1880, when a son, Frank, was born to Mr. and Mrs. George Manchester.

The first marriage took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Parrish on Thursday, June 23, 1881, when their daughter, Ary Bell, became the wife of H. K. Deffenbaugh. Squire Thomas L. Howden performed the ceremony.

On November 11, 1880, occurred the first death, that of a son of H. H. Joy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *